Thursday, October 6, 2022

Guest Post: Mary VandenBerg

Hello! My name is Mary VandenBerg and I am a professor of Systematic Theology at Calvin Seminary in Grand Rapids, MI. Back in the Spring, Anthony and a colleague from a partner institution, LEMA, invited me to come to Uganda and speak at a conference that Resonate and LEMA were sponsoring in Soroti. It was clear soon after the invitation came that God was calling me to do this, in part because my husband, Skip, was willing to accompany me. Thus, we ended up in Uganda in late August. I will just add that this was definitely NOT on any “bucket list,” but I want to give just a brief picture of how God worked and what he taught us during our time there. I will divide this into four parts: The Country, The People, The Work, and Transformation.

The Country

Sara and Anthony encouraged us to come to Uganda a bit early and enjoy the country. We did that, arriving about a week ahead of the conference and spending several days on a trip to Murchison Falls National Park, about a 7 hour drive from Kampala, a trip they had recommended. Skip and I both love being outdoors, observing and learning about the natural world. The trip was a wonderful opportunity to see this uniquely beautiful country and the unique vegetation and wildlife it offers. Seeing animals we usually only see in a zoo, both on game drives and on a boat ride on the Nile river was amazing. The short hike to Murchison Falls was also very interesting. The Falls itself is one of the most powerful we have ever seen. But at least as incredible was the savanna itself. The wide open space where land and sky seem to go forever makes the plains of the “big sky” state of Montana look small. The beauty of the country overall is breathtaking both in places like the National Park, and on nearly every drive we took with Sara and Anthony. It is not hard to see why humans fall into the trap of worshiping the creation instead of the Creator.



The People

The highlight of our visit to Uganda was meeting the church there. As Sara wrote earlier, we traveled with them to Morulem, a few hours from Soroti. Sara introduced the community there to a new, easy to grow nutritious plant called chaya on Saturday, also leading a Bible study. I preached Sunday to a fairly large crowd gathered at the church. The preaching was preceded by at least a hour of worship including boisterous praise from men, women, and children. Despite having my notes blow away at one point, it was an extraordinary experience for me. We were warmly received and greeted by the crowd, often by the words, “praise the Lord.” We learned that the appropriate response was “Amen” and soon found ourselves greeting them as they had greeted us. It is a challenging area in which to work. The roads are difficult to travel and very slow. The churches are dispersed across a wide area. It is hard to imagine how Pastor David manages all the work. 


We drove back to Soroti Sunday afternoon and the CLEAR conference began Monday morning. It was a very busy schedule each day and we went home exhausted but full of joy. Skip served wherever he was needed, distributing handouts, taking pictures, and generally helping out. He even helped resolve a problem with Anthony and Sara’s car! I taught about the Kingdom of God, with a special emphasis on God’s power and control. This is important in Uganda because many people there mistakenly believe that Satan has nearly as much power as God. Anthony coached me to emphasize for this audience that God alone is almighty king and that Satan is merely a created being with limited power. Yes, he can cause problems. But he is on God’s leash and nothing he does is out of God’s control. Read the first chapter of Job for a vivid picture of this.  





The Work (Anthony and Sara)

Anthony and Sara are humble, willing servants of God in Uganda. You already know that, but we got to see that. The work they do is amazing. Their dedication to the Gospel is clear in everything they do. Sara could just do the agricultural development work like what she did in Morulem. But she takes the time to begin with Bible study, even tying her teaching to her work in a way that is not artificial. The breadth of her knowledge as an agriculturalist is incredible. We enjoyed her descriptions of the various plants in her garden in Soroti, along with how those plants could be used. Did you know that you can eat not just pumpkins, but pumpkin greens? We had no idea! We also learned about cover crops, giant avocados, and so much more. We saw Sara plant a sucker from a banana tree (meaning she just stuck it in the ground), and returned two days later to see a new green shoot that was already almost 12 inches high! And if you want to know what bird you are looking at, just ask her. She knows.

Anthony is a gifted teacher. His plenary at the conference was well organized, biblical, and engaging. There were 250 people at CLEAR and he kept their interest for well over an hour, even getting them to interact with him at various points in his presentation. He is passionate about the Gospel and passionate about teaching and equipping the ministry leaders in Uganda for their work. We learned that many, if not most, of the pastors there are not paid, so helping them lead their churches while also working another job to provide an income for their families is part of his task.

In the U.S., we sometimes speak of “power couples,” meaning a married couple where both the man and the woman are in high-powered careers. I would suggest that from a Christian perspective, Sara and Anthony are a power couple. Their work together through the power of God’s Spirit is changing lives and shaping the church in Uganda. I can’t think of anything more powerful than the work they are doing. It is inspiring!




Transformation

Both Skip and I had a wonderful experience in Uganda. In my case, the opportunity to join Anthony and Sara in a very small way in their work in Uganda was transformative. I left the U.S. depleted after a very busy academic year that stretched into the summer, and having to conduct a funeral for my nephew the day before we left. I truly wondered why I said yes. Had I heard God wrong? How would I manage a full schedule in Uganda? How could I know if my preaching and teaching would be appropriate for the people I was ministering to?

I was smiling as I wrote those words because of course, when God calls you he equips you. I know that. But I had forgotten that, at least to some extent. I realized that in the west, many of us live with the illusion that we are in control. We plan. We prepare. We do. There is nothing wrong with that in and of itself. But in a country like Uganda, you quickly realize how little control you have. The electricity randomly goes out. The internet may or may not work. It may take an hour and a half to get somewhere or it may take 3 hours. Events may start when they are scheduled to begin or they may start an hour later. And that is just the beginning.

God taught me – again, because he has taught me this before – that I am not in control. That his plan works best when I do my part, and then surrender to him. And he reminded me, that when I truly let go, the possibilities for what he will do are unimaginable, not just for those I am ministering to, but for me.

I left home empty. I returned full. Spiritually refreshed. Ready once again to serve where God is asking me to serve, but with hands clenched less tightly than before. Praise the Lord! Amen!

7 comments:

  1. Terrific letter from Professor VandenBerg. I love the fact that she clearly documented the skill, abilities, humility, dedication and calling that the Systmas are blessed with by God. Though I was able to help support them financially for several years, God has led ne to support

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (continued because I accidentally bumped "send") God has led me to support other ministers who have come from my congregation, and I feel a bit deprived to no longer share in their ministry other than by prayer. They are truly well used by God and a blessing to many.
      Bill Durkin

      Delete
    2. "other than by prayer" haha. Prayer is huge! We are very grateful for you! Don't forget encouragement as well, you are gifted in that also

      Delete
  2. Praise the Lord. Amen! Thank you very much for sharing with us the ways in which you experienced God turning your emptiness into joyful fullness. We who support Anthony and Sara feel blessed in being able to be their supporters. We do praise the Lord--for Anthony and Sara and for the ways He is blessing their good work. Thank you, Mary, for going to Uganda and for the work you did there. Thank you, too, for this helpful and encouraging blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am Mary's mother so I am both biased and blessed by her work. Mary and Skip came home with so much joy in their hearts for the opportunity they had to be in Uganda but especially to spend this time working with Anthony and Sara. I praise God for what he has done for Skip and Mary but also have a good knowledge of how to pray for Anthony and Sara in the coming years. Marilyn DeJong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Marilyn for your kind comment, and for your prayers for us!

      Delete