Thursday, August 26, 2021

Home Activities

 By Sara:

When it was mango season, with the abundance of fruit, I made juice.  Since it's a lot of work, I might as well make the most of the project, so I also bought a pineapple to make pineapple juice.

My computer battery started expanding shortly before the lockdown.  We were worried about how we could possibly manage that problem in Uganda, but Anthony found a shop in Kampala which sells computer batteries and they had the one I needed.  We bought it with mobile money (through our phone), they put it on a bus in Kampala, and we picked it up in Soroti the next day!  Also, it arrived the day before all public transportation was shut down!  Amazing.  Computer surgery at our kitchen table:

Power outages...

One day, while Cindy was here, she went out and bought ice cream from the ice cream bicycle man.  She brought it home after tasting it and asked if I wanted to try "it tastes a little bit like Pepto Bismol".  Obviously I wanted to taste it after such a glowing recommendation... No, not so much.

I had prepared everything for a group to come learn how to use my clay oven, but because of the lockdown, we had to cancel.  So I just baked things for us instead.

One day, we found a tiny hedgehog in our yard.  It was so cute, Anthony brought it inside so we could watch it run around.

 Look at those little legs go!

Eventually, it got tired and went to take a nap in the corner, next to my desk.

We celebrated our anniversary by dressing up and making a nice meal at home.  Even if we wanted to go out, there's a 7pm curfew, so eating dinner at a restaurant isn't an option.  We planned to use candles anyway, but then the power went out, so they were both romantic and useful.  That's definitely my style.



7 comments:

  1. HHHmmmmm! Yummy! I love baking! Next time I am in Soroti, I will come over and take a look at your oven. Maybe I can also make one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics. Helps us understand your life. Glad the computer surgery worked. Loved the hedgehog. Wish we had them here. Bill Durkin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you can think of chipmunks as the hedgehogs of the US? :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing these pics and video - always lovely to "see" bits and pieces of your daily life :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fresh mango and pineapple juice sounds delicious! So thankful God brought you a new battery. These pictures were great – thank you for taking time to share.

    ReplyDelete