Thursday, October 4, 2018

From the Garden

By Sara:

At the moment, we could survive entirely on our own animals, fruits, and crops.  I've got beans, cowpeas, sweet potatoes, pumpkins, amaranth, millet, all kinds of greens, okra, eggplant, tomatoes, oranges, papaya, passion fruit, guavas, duck and chicken eggs, and of course ducks, chickens, and rabbits.  Here are some interesting garden and garden-product pictures.  First, just a few of the fruits I picked today (not including 6 additional papayas):


Then, the current state of my garden.  The inside garden today:



The outside garden and other side of our wall, also from today:



Popped pearl millet (left) and amaranth (right) from my garden.


Passion fruit flowers:


I found shade cloth in Kampala and thought it would make a better, more durable sack garden than a normal (plastic) sack, which disintegrates in the sun within less than a year.  Someone gave me some strawberry cuttings, so I'm trying them out as the first sack garden crop!


Compost piles made with the compost which has been building up in my giant lazy-style pile for the last 10 months...


Pumpkins (Anthony has learned that he really enjoys eating boiled pumpkin):


Not a garden product, but a critter who appeared in the garden - a chameleon:


1 comment:

  1. Amazing Sara! I imagine that you have a lot of excess produce. What do you do with it?

    ReplyDelete