Friday, September 7, 2018

A Thanksgiving Exercise

By Anthony:

I'm often overwhelmed by how easy my life is and how much I have, especially compared to most Ugandans. I need to make sure I don't stop there with that feeling but that I take time to thank God each day for his gifts, and that I try to be generous to others. I wanted to share with you a way I've been helping myself to give thanksgiving to God in my prayers.

In my mind I will imagine myself sitting in my home, but then I make everything disappear in my mind, including the house itself, so it's just me sitting in an empty place. Then I thank God for things one at a time. As I mention each item, I have them appear in the scene in my mind, as if they rush down from above instantly to fill that space. In my mind this is like the special effects in many movies.

So down comes each part of the house, down comes power, down comes water, water filters, my computer, our vehicle, our books, my Bible, fans, plentiful food to eat, comfortable furniture to sit on, our dogs, and then of course more importantly, Sara also appears, and my friends, my church, my family, and the opportunities God has given me. And so on it goes.

I'm not sure why this is such a powerful exercise for me. Perhaps it's just realizing how empty my life would be without God's provision. Perhaps it's a way to just better notice and appreciate what I have been given. For example, even if our water goes off once every day, having water to drink every day is far better than having no water at all! And we are also grateful to have a water tank so we still can get water when the water is off.

Doing this exercise helps me to think about all the things I am thankful for and what I should be thankful for. It reminds me of the asset inventory exercises that I have people do in my trainings. The participants take an inventory of the skills and resources that God has given them. Doing the asset inventory exercise makes the participants (and me) feel rich and fills them with contentment and joy rather than complaint and anger.

2 comments:

  1. I have been convicted lately that I focus on limitations and losses in my life, rather than on God's innumerable good gifts. The fact that they are innumerable should not prevent me from numerating them in order to more fully appreciate them and to recognize and thank God as their source. I like your visual exercise. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Pam, we appreciate your encouragements always!

    ReplyDelete