Thursday, February 26, 2015

Baking in Soroti

By Sara:

I've been having fun teaching a local business man named Isaac some new baking recipes and techniques.  He owns a café and a copy shop.  Anthony and I go to his copy shop quite often to make copies of our training materials.  When I went their to get copies of my baking instructions and recipes, Isaac was really interested and asked if he could make a copy for himself to try out in his café.  Later, when Anthony was making copies for TLT, Isaac asked him if he thought I'd be willing to come in to the café and bake some of those things with him and his staff so he can add new things to his café menu.  And so I did.  I've gone in a couple of times and we have tried out a bunch of different recipes.  Isaac is very motivated and excited about perfecting the recipes now that he knows generally how they go.  He likes making new things and having people try them (he always sends one of the things we bake home with me for Anthony to taste!)

Together, we made steamed cassava cake, steamed yeast bread, (American) biscuits on a frying pan, and fried cassava doughnuts.


Since he has a cafe, Isaac has these fancy deep fryers.  It is very convenient for making doughnuts.


The cassava doughnuts turned out really well and everyone enjoyed them.  Cassava cake was also a favorite.  Apparently the staff kept going to the kitchen all day and sneaking bites of the cake!


I got to learn from Isaac too.  He showed me how he makes his excellent chapatti.



And then we used the same frying pan to make flour tortillas.  Isaac is a natural when it comes to baking.  Tortillas are especially easy because they use a similar technique to chapatti.


Recently, I also did a baking training at Soroti PAG with our friend Agnes.  As always, homemade cakes are enjoyed by all.



No comments:

Post a Comment