Thursday, January 29, 2015

A New Home Project

Rabbits.  I've decided to try learning about raising rabbits.  So I got a pair from some other missionaries in town.  The female is the dark brown one and the male is the white one.




Caleb has been quite alarmed by these new creatures in his yard.  In fact, I think he is more scared of them than they are of him!






We didn't realize it when we got them, but the female, the one above, was pregnant when we got her!  So one day I was surprised to go outside in the morning to find a bunch of baby rabbits lying around in the hutch.  Unfortunately (possibly because they weren't born in a nest and I had to handle them a lot in their first day of life, they all died within a couple days.  It makes me feel like a bad rabbit-raiser.  But hopefully I will have better luck next time. 



The good news is that at least I am good at raising goats and chickens.  We had some new baby chicks hatch - eight of them - and they are doing well.  At three weeks old, they've survived a lot longer than the baby rabbits so far...




On a separate note, I have a bunch of chickens who all want to sit on eggs right now (even though I collect the eggs every day, they'll sit there anyway).  These four keep fighting over the nests.


2 comments:

  1. Hello sweet ones!!...I love that you are always willing to learn something new!! Keep up the good work...and thank you SO MUCH for sharing!!...I always LOVE the photos...and stories!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the things you two are willing to try. My son Dave raised rabbits when he was young and he learned a lot from that experience..... Nell

    ReplyDelete