Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Arrival in Uganda


Praise God with us that we arrived safely in Uganda late Monday night, after many hours of travel.  It was exciting to get off the plane and smell the distinctive aroma of Uganda and feel warm, even without a jacket!  We are also very grateful that Anthony is almost fully recovered from being sick and I have not succumbed to anything so far.

After staying up very late (into Tuesday morning), we were able to drop off to sleep at the temporary home of our friends Jim and Josephine, in Kampala.  It was easy to sleep after being awake for almost two days.  However, the mosquitoes that made it into our room found Anthony without much trouble...




We spent today driving around Kampala, getting our phones set up, buying internet modems, purchasing malaria prophylactics, and figuring out what items we will need to buy before leaving Kampala on Saturday for our home in Soroti.  

Anthony also had his first brief, but exciting (in the many meanings of the word), taste of driving in Uganda - with a manual transmission, on the left side of the road and of the vehicle, with the turn signals to the right of the steering wheel, and shifting with his left hand!  Tomorrow morning is my turn.




Another praise that we have is that just at the time we need to buy furniture for our home, Jim and Josephine are trying to sell most of their furniture before they move to Tanzania.  So we are going to be able to help them out and save ourselves a lot of time shopping by buying important items (like a table and chairs and bed) from them.



While we were around town, we got a form of take-out for lunch (like buying food by the pound at a deli).  I got matooke (plantains) cooked with peanut sauce.  At first, I was thinking that I should get Ugandan food because I had the chance (and I like it), but then I realized that I live in Uganda and I can get Ugandan food whenever I want!


Above: Ugandan take-away.

5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are already making progress with the furniture. I do NOT envy you trying to learn to drive there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many answers to prayer; your safe arrival, good health and the needed furniture. I'm not sure about the take-away or the driving experience.Nell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praising God with you for safe travel and smooth transitions! The photos are helpful to imagine what you are seeing and experiencing already. Such a difference from our very deep and fresh snow here in Michigan:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to hear this news and thankful Anthony is feeling better. Hope he can fend off the mosquitoes though. Yuck! The peanut plantain photo made my mouth water! YUM! ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praising God with you for so many answered prayers!

    ReplyDelete